The Utah Music Educators Association is available for all Utah music educators, who teach in public and private institutions, from Pre-K through college levels. The organization is dedicated to improving existing music programs and creating opportunities for musical learning, growth and leadership
Subscription to Music Educators Journal and Teaching Music
Subscription to UMEA Journal
Registration discounts to many music festivals and events
Being involved with a committed network of your peers
Annual in-service training at the Mid-Winter Conference in St. George
Performing opportunities for students at the Mid-Winter Conference and other events.
State festival participation for high school, jr. high and middle school students
Opportunities to serve other music teachers and influence music education in Utah
The following statement was sent by UMEA to all current members and those with lapsed memberships.
Dear UMEA members,
I appreciate you and all you are doing for our students at this crazy time. I will not trouble you with a long email but want to strongly encourage you, as you our preparing lessons for your students, to be wise concerning copyright. I am including both information from the Utah State Board of Education, including several websites from publishers, and a Webinar from NAfME (it is fairly long but believe we should all take the time to listen and watch). My best to you as we try to all figure this out. God Bless!
Please see below
1) From Utah State Board of Education (Thanks Cathy Jensen)
Please share the following information with the UMEA membership regarding sharing music with students in an on-line setting:
The following stipulations have been approved by USBE attorneys regarding sharing copyrighted music in your online lessons:
1) the music is distributed only to the students assigned in the class, and,
2) the original hardcopies in the same numbers as the distribution are held at the school, and
3) the students are instructed about copyright law.
The music publishing industry is responding to the situation with new guidelines for this period:
· Hal Leonard guidelines on using their materials while schools are closed or your performing ensemble cannot meet.
· GIA Publications statement on permissions for using their materials in online formats.
2) From NAfME--please take the time to watch