Welcome to UMEA
State Festival Information
State Concert Band
2015 All-State Band Audition Materials Now Available
Audition materials for the 2015 All-State Band are now available on the Band Division page. Band Division page
The audition deadline is November 9, 2014.
New Event Approval Form
UMEA has been given the responsibility for vetting all music events for sanctioning by the Utah High School Activities Association. The Application for Approval of Music Event form, linked here: event approval form,
must be completely filled out and submitted to Sharee Jorgensenshareekj@gmail.com
no later than 45 days before the event. The form must be submitted EVERY YEAR, regardless if it is an annual event.
Events must comply with the following:
Compliance to UHSSA eligibility rules must be followed. If participants involved are in grades other than 9 through 12, an open class must be held separately.
Each event must show proof of liability and or property insurance. UMEA is only the vetting body and assumes NO RISK OR LIABILITY FOR THE EVENT.
Be advised that no music or speech event will be sanctioned, if school time is missed the day prior to the event for travel or participation. In essence, not more than one day of school time may be missed, including travel, to obtain a sanction.
Paul Wells named new All-State Orchestra Chair
Paul Wells, orchestra director at Salem Hills High School, was named the new UMEA All-State Orchestra Chairman at the August 6th UMEA board meeting. He succeeds Randy Qualls of Fremont High School. The board expresses sincere gratitude to Randy for his years of service in this position.
Announcing the 2014 High School All-State Choir Conductor
Jean Applonie received her bachelor's degree in choral music education and master's degree in choral music performance from Brigham Young University. She taught choral music for Davis and Murray School Districs and served on the music faculty at The Waterford School.
Ms. Applonie is co-founder/artistic director of Viva Voice! Women's Choir in Salt Lake City. She opened a private voice studio that she has operated for ten years and is an active church musician. She has organized and presented for various choral music workshops and festivals.
The UMEA All-State Choir Concert will take place Saturday, October 11, in the Salt Lake LDS Tabernacle at 7:30 p.m.
Date change alert
Dates previously posted for the State Choir Festival and the State Orchestra Festival have been switched to better accomodate a desired venue.
State Orchestra Festival: May 8-9, 2015 at Maple Mountain High School*
State Choir Festival: May 15-16, 2015 at Libby Gardner Hall, U of U Campus
*Note additional change: With the date change, Salem Hills HS was not available to host the State Orchestra Festival. The new location is Maple Mountain HS.
New NAfME Website
Check out the new NAfME website: NAfME.org
- Weber Marching Band Review, September 23, 2014
- Nebo Marching Band, Payson, September 27, 2014
- Bridgerland Marching Band, Logan, October 4, 2014
- Wasatch Front Marching Band, Salt Lake City, October 7, 2014
- All-State Choir Concert, Tabernacle, SLC, October 11, 2014
- Rocky Mountain Marching Band, October 11, 2014
- Davis Cup Marching Band, Davis HS, October 21, 2014
- Mt. Timpanogos Marching Band, Pleasant Grove, October 25, 2014
- Red Rocks State Marching Band Championships, St. George, October 31, 2014
- All-State Band & Orchestra Concert, Abravanel Hall, 2 p.m., January 24, 2015
- High School Honor Choirs Concert, Abravanel Hall, 1 p.m., January 31, 2015
- Jr. High Honor Choir Concert, Abravanel Hall, 7 p.m., January 31, 2015
- UMEA Professional Development Conference, Dixie Center, St. George, February 6-7, 2015
- Music on the Hill Day, State Capitol, Noon, March 5, 2015
- State Jr. High/Middle Band Festival, Libby Gardner Hall, March 19-20, 2015
- State Jazz Festival, March 27-28, 2015
- State Solo & Ensemble Festival, April 25, 2015
- State Concert Band Festival, Corner Canyon HS, May 1-2, 2015
- State Orchestra Festival, Salem Hills HS, May 8-9,2015
- State Choir Festival, Libby Gardner Hall,May 15-16, 2015
- UMEA Marching Band Leadership Clinic, American Fork HS, May 30, 2015
Call for Conference Presenters
Do you want to present a session at the Mid-Winter Conference?
Apply to present a session here.
If there is a session topic you would like to have addressed, contact one of the UMEA vice presidents.
A "Call" for Nominations
UMEA is issuing a call for nominations to the UMEA Board to replace board members whose terms will expire July 1, 2015. An election for these positions will be held at the St. George UMEA Convention February 6-7, 2015. The open offices include President-Elect, Orchestra Vice President, Jazz Vice President and Elementary Vice President. Please forward nominations with a short supporting paragraph to the nominating chair, Dr. Greg Wheeler: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for these nominations is September 30, 2014. We look forward to hearing from you.
UMEA Executive Council
Join or Renew Membership in UMEA & NAfME
Joining UMEA allows members to receive support and instruction from the state's largest professional music-teaching association as well as membership to NAfME, the largest national music educators organization. Click on the link to see member benefits and receive more information about joining UMEA/NAfME Membership Benefits
Learn about UMEA's position in supporting music education on our Advocacy page.
Featured Advocacy Article:
"Arts Involvement and At-Risk Students"
State Festival Ratings
2014 State Marching Band Results
2014 State Concert Band Ratings
2014 State Orchestra Ratings
2014 State Choir Ratings