Welcome to UMEA
- Oct 28, Red Rocks UMEA State Championships (St. George)
- Oct 29, Bands of America Marching Competition (St. George)
- Jan 19-21 2017 Instrumental All-State (Band, Orchestra), SLC
- Jan 27 & 28, 2017 State High School Honor Choir, SLC
- Jan 27 & 28, 2017 State Jr. High Honor Choir, SLC
- Feb 3 & 4, 2017, UMEA Professional Development Conference, Dixie Center, St. George, Utah
- Feb 15, 2017 UMEA Capitol Hill Day, 4:30 p.m., State Capitol
- Feb 24, 2017 State Jr. High Jazz Festival (New Event - tentative date and plans)
- Mar 14 & 15, 2017 State Jr. High/Middle School Orchestra Festival, University of Utah
- Mar 16 & 17, 2017 State Jr. High/Middle School Band Festival, University of Utah
- Mar 18, Utah Percussive Arts Festival
- Mar 24-25, State Jazz Festival
- Apr 29 State Solo & Ensemble Festival (north & south locations)
- May 4-6, State Band Festival, Corner Canyon H.S.
- May 12 & 13, 2017 State Choir Festival at U of U
- May 18-20, State Orchestra Festival
Reserve Early for Conference Hotels
UMEA has made arrangements with the following hotels for a discounted UMEA Conference rate. Members are urged to reserve hotel space early as these hotels will only keep these reserved blocks of discounted rooms up to a month before the conference.
St. George Hotels reserving a block of rooms for UMEA members
UMEA Members Urged to Vote for State School Board Candidates
Dear UMEA members,
In the general election on November 8, 2016 the following Utah state school board districts are holding elections for board positions: Districts 4, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15. To find out what State School Board District you reside in, please go to the page: https://elections.utah.gov/map/district-maps. This is a critical time to keep music education issues in the minds of our elected policy makers. If you are in one of the districts up for election, we encourage you to contact the state school board candidates in your area and make a quick email connection with them. Let them know you are a constituent and a music educator. Below are some recommended talking points specific to music education, but please feel free to engage them an any topic you feel is critical. UMEA leadership and advocacy team feels that the candidates who ultimately obtain the school board seats will remember these discussions regarding music education and will be more receptive to dialogue with UMEA in the future.
Talking points with State School Board candidates:
In the recently passed ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act), music is listed as a stand-alone subject in the definition of a “well rounded education.” Since there is more state control in ESSA than is NCLB (No Child Left Behind), how will you as state school board member be able to insure that music holds a place in kindergarten through 12th grade education in the state recommendations to districts?
What is your position on the recent action to allow persons without teaching credentials through certified teacher training programs to teach in Utah schools?
Talk with them about how music enriched your school experience and ask if they or their family members had similar experiences in school music programs.
Call for Award Nominations
UMEA recognizes the accomplishments of its membership and those who support music education in Utah with awards which are presented annually at the UMEA Mid-Winter Professional Development Conference in St. George, Utah. Nominations are screened by a nominating committee and come before the UMEA Board for approval. Nominations are currently being accepted for the following:
Outstanding Music Educator - top state award for long-term meritorious service.
Superior Accomplishment - awarded for one, specifically outstanding accomplishment during the previous year.
Service to Music Education - given to a non-UMEA member who has given special service, assistance or opportunities to enhance music education.
Senior High School Award - high school music teacher who has demonstrated distinct, commendable achievement and service.
Junior High/Middle School Award - jr. high/middle school music teacher who has demonstrated distinct, commendable achievement and service.
Elementary Award - elementary teacher or music specialist whose contributions expand and enrich elementary music.
Outstanding Administrator Award - public school administrator who has demonstrated commitment and support to music education.
UMEA Hall of Fame Award - individual, living or deceased, whose long-term, meritorious service, assistance and inspiration to music education has made a lasting impression.
Note: Teacher recipients must be members of UMEA
Nomination deadline: November 15, 2016
Send nominations to Norm Lister
304 Cholla Dr.
Washington, UT 84780
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to Adjudication Certification
The UMEA adjudication committee and UHSAA have agreed upon some changes begin June 1, 2016.
- The term for certified adjudicators has increased to four years.
- All adjudicator terms will end in June of the fourth year, regardless of when they certified.
- John Bowman was named as the Adjudication Committee's new chair. He replaces Claudia Bigler who has served admirably in this position for several years.
2017 Band All-State
Audition materials are now available on the All-State Band page.
Learn how UMEA supports music education on our Advocacy page.
Featured Advocacy Articles:
- Read Caleb Chapman's powerful speech given at this year's Capitol Hill Day.
- Read Jenny Oaks Baker's Keynote speech given at this year's Capitol Hill Day.
NAfME Western Region President-elect
Congratulations to Sam Tsugawa, newly elected NAfME Western Region President-elect!
2016 Conference Handouts
Click here for handouts and resources from the 2016 UMEA Mid-Winter Professional Development Conference
2016 UMEA Board Election Results
Congratulations to the following newly elected UMEA officers:
Join or Renew Membership in UMEA & NAfME
Joining UMEA allows members to receive support and instruction from the state's largest professional music-teaching association as well as membership to NAfME, the largest national music educators organization. Membership Benefits