Welcome to UMEA
- Jan 19-21 2017 Instrumental All-State (Band, Orchestra), SLC
- Jan 27 & 28, 2017 State High School Honor Choir, SLC
- Jan 27 & 28, 2017 State Jr. High Honor Choir, SLC
- Feb 3 & 4, 2017, UMEA Professional Development Conference, Dixie Center, St. George, Utah
- Feb 15, 2017 UMEA Capitol Hill Day, 4:30 p.m., State Capitol
- Feb 23, 2017 State Jr. High Jazz Festival (New Event)
- Mar 14 & 15, 2017 State Jr. High/Middle School Orchestra Festival, University of Utah
- Mar 16 & 17, 2017 State Jr. High/Middle School Band Festival, University of Utah
- Mar 18, Utah Percussive Arts Festival
- Mar 24-25, State Jazz Festival
- Apr 29 State Solo & Ensemble Festival (north & south locations)
- May 4-6, State Band Festival, Corner Canyon H.S.
- May 12 & 13, 2017 State Choir Festival at U of U
- May 18-20, State Orchestra Festival
2017 Candidates for UMEA Board Posted
Candidates for the 2017 UMEA Board election are being announced. Their photos, biographies and statements may be viewed on the Election Information page of the website: Elections
The election will be conducted online, beginning in mid January. It will continue until noon, February 4, 2017. UMEA members will be sent an invitation to vote via email. Members without an email address registered by UMEA will be sent ballots. Those who register as new members, or lapsed members who renew membership at the UMEA Conference in St. George, Feb. 3-4, will receive ballots.
Information has not yet been received from all candidates. Watch the Election page for future updates.
State Jr. High Jazz Festival information and application now available
Information, requirements and application for the new St. Jr. High Jazz Festival - click here
Reserve Early for Conference Hotels
UMEA has made arrangements with the following hotels for a discounted UMEA Conference rate. Members are urged to reserve hotel space early as these hotels will only keep these reserved blocks of discounted rooms up to a month before the conference.
St. George Hotels reserving a block of rooms for UMEA members
Changes to Adjudication Certification
The UMEA adjudication committee and UHSAA have agreed upon some changes begin June 1, 2016.
- The term for certified adjudicators has increased to four years.
- All adjudicator terms will end in June of the fourth year, regardless of when they certified.
- John Bowman was named as the Adjudication Committee's new chair. He replaces Claudia Bigler who has served admirably in this position for several years.
Learn how UMEA supports music education on our Advocacy page.
Featured Advocacy Articles:
- Read Caleb Chapman's powerful speech given at this year's Capitol Hill Day.
- Read Jenny Oaks Baker's Keynote speech given at this year's Capitol Hill Day.
Join or Renew Membership in UMEA & NAfME
Joining UMEA allows members to receive support and instruction from the state's largest professional music-teaching association as well as membership to NAfME, the largest national music educators organization. Membership Benefits